Use these sources...
Use the sources listed to find answers to the questions below.
Use Business Insights to research this industry:
- Click the Industry Search link, the paste in your NAICS code (select NAICS) and search for industry profiles
- Search by industry name for relevant articles
- Locate and email yourself at least 1 report or article that relates to your client's industry
Who are your client's competitors? Brainstorm for at least three competitors - use any sources at your disposal. (Google, Yelp, Arts Directories, etc)
Use America's Newspapers: Illinois Newspapers and Illinois Newspapers (Lexis Nexis Academic) to locate any newspaper articles about your client, your client's industry, and possible competitors. Email yourself at least three relevant articles about your client and a competitor.
Use the Chicago Tribune to locate any newspaper articles about your client, your client's industry, and possible competitors. Email yourself at least three relevant articles.
Where is your client located? Who is your client's target audience? Where is the target audience geographically located? Using the 2010 Census locate the population and demographic information for your client's audience. Use the Demographics Books in the left box to find characteristics of consumers by generation and what they purchase.
For detailed Census information, find the census tract for a specific area. Use American Factfinder to locate the specific census tract:
- Within American Factfinder, click Geographies Tab
- Click the Address tab and enter the address for your client
- Locate the Census Tract and click on it to see detailed information on population
Search for your client, the industry and any competitors in the newspaper databases (America's Newspapers: Illinois Newspapers, Illinois Newspapers (Lexis Nexis Academic) and Chicago Tribune) and business databases (Business Source Complete and Business Insights) for strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
- For Strengths try searching for: strengths, assests, positive, vitality, stability, advantage
- For Weaknesses try searching for: weaknesses, difficulties, faults, deficiencies, instabilities, vulnerabilities, disadvantage
- For Opportunities try searching for: opportunities, possibilities, opening, chance, strategy
- For Threats try searching for: threats, risks, challenges, hazards, danger, gamble
Chat with a Librarian
Are we offline? Please try to reach us by email or call 312-369-7900.